“Connect For Health Colorado” is an online market place for buying health insurance for individuals and small employers in the state of Colorado. It will open October 1, 2013 with health coverage taking effect January 1, 2014. All states will have the option to form their own exchanges or accept the Federal exchange as a way to comply with the upcoming healthcare reform (Obamacare) that will go into effect January 1, 2014. The mission of Connect For Health Colorado is to increase access, affordability and choice for individuals and small employers purchasing health insurance in Colorado. Coloradoans can still buy insurance outside of the exchange if they want to. Plans will cost the same inside and outside of the exchange, however there is one caveat. Only plans bought through the exchange will provide subsides.
As a way to make health insurance more affordable, the government will offer subsides to those eligible to reduce the cost of their premiums. They will be available to:
• Individuals and families earning from 133% to 400% of the federal poverty level
• Small businesses with 25 or fewer employees earning less than $50,000
From time to time I will be blogging about Obamacare and how it will impact everyone. Here are a few of the highlights we are aware of so far:
• Beginning 2014, all health insurance plans must guarantee the availability and renewal of coverage regardless of health status
• Plans will be prohibited from imposing exclusions for pre-existing conditions
• Group plans will be prohibited from placing annual limits on the amount of coverage
• Small group plans will have to meet essential health benefit (EHB) requirements as well as limit deductibles ($2,000 individuals and $4,000 families)
Stay tuned…We’ll keep you posted as details of this healthcare reform unfold!
Linda Eden is a Registered Principal offering securities through Cambridge Investment Research, Inc., a Broker/Dealer, Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment Advisor Representative, Cambridge Investment Research Advisors, Inc., a Registered Investment Advisor. Legacy Wealth Management, LLC and Cambridge are not affiliated. Cambridge does not offer tax advice.
Copyright ©2013 Linda Eden. All Rights reserved. Commercial copying, duplication or reproduction is prohibited.